Next iOS question - why is my app so slow?

Graham Samuel livfoss at mac.com
Fri Feb 17 08:34:14 EST 2012

Well, I was fleetingly pleased with myself that I got my first iOS app installed and running on my iPad 2. It didn't last. The thing runs as though wading through glue - MUCH slower than on my Mac (a not particularly new MacBook) and even slower even than on the simulator. The amount of scripting in the app is limited, but you can see it thinking, so that for example I have a bit of code that puts an image in a particular exact place if the user has dragged sufficiently near to the final position (i.e. a snap-to-position process). This is instantaneous on the Mac but takes well over half a second on the iPad. And even recognising a touch before dragging an image appears to take a measurable time. This isn't at all like any of the commercial apps I have.

I only have a 'personal' licence. Is the engine spiked, or am I doing something wrong, or what? Has anyone any experience to share?

TIA as ever

Graham