Best way to add an image to an oval graphic?

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Wed Nov 11 13:18:21 EST 2020

Using the backgroundPattern seems intuitive, but read the fine print:
image dimensions have very specific requirements, and not heeding those
can yield unpredictable results.

Earlier this year I had a project that used backgroundPattern as a way
to use the graphic shape to mask an image.  It worked well in most
circumstances, with a satisfying range of images sizes - until it didn't.

We eventually found some images that would render at a fraction of
actual size, tiling across.

I had to ditch it and find another approach, which led to the thread
here a few months ago about keyhole effect.

The result of that is you can use a graphic placed on top of an image as
a mark, with the graphic's backgroundColor set to black and the ink set
to blendDstIn.

That combo will give you a lot of flexibility for centering and even
resizing your masking graphic over the image.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Systems