Windows startup issue

Paul Dupuis paul at researchware.com
Tue Nov 10 16:11:12 EST 2020

On 11/10/2020 2:14 AM, Richard Gaskin via use-livecode wrote:
> J. Landman Gay wrote:
>
> > On 11/9/20 3:54 PM, Richard Gaskin via use-livecode wrote:
> >> And WTH happened to LC's error reporting dialog?
> >
> > Standalones have always reported this way on both desktop and mobile.
> > It is up to the developer to include the translated references if
> > they want to see those. Generally I don't bother, I provide the
> > optional built-in ability to send email to support or save a file.
> > I can translate the numbers myself since the meanings usually mean
> > nothing to the end-user anyway.
>
> I've been using my own error-reporting for so long I can't recall
> seeing the default standalone handling.
>
> I have made a couple of quickies where I just used LC's error
> reporting, but clumsy as that design is at least the output from the
> "Send Report" button is more useful than the raw list of triplet
> integers.
>
> How has such ungraceful error handling become acceptable?
>
> Why is the least useful thing the easiest for new developers to do?
>
> Shouldn't it be easy for LC devs to deliver a great application
> experience?

One big thing that LC could do to let developer's improve error handling
and standalone troubleshooting would be to include the
"scriptExecutionErrors" in Standalones. I know it is along list, but
would it really add that many more bytes to Standalones relative to the
current engine size?

I know you can replicate having the error text present by copying the
scriptExecutionErrors to a custom property in your standalone, but then
you have to be sure to update it with each engine release. To just have
it included when you build a standalone would be much better.