3WDevolution question

Brian Milby brian at milby7.com
Sat Sep 8 01:20:40 EDT 2018

On Fri, Sep 7, 2018 at 11:45 PM Richard Gaskin via use-livecode <

> Brian Milby wrote:
>
>  > FWIW...
>  > I see the same thing on Mac where Devolution will not move past the
>  > tool palette.
>
> More interestingly, when you see the windowBoundingRect altered by the
> placement of the IDE's tool palette, does a maximized window respect the
> new windowBoundingRect as it does on Windows, or ignore it as it does on
> Linux?
>
> Mac is somewhat different.  If you click the maximize control then you go
into full screen mode for that window (no title bar, no menu, no dock).
Palettes still appear over it (tools, Devolution, Navigator, DevTools, but
not the menu button bar).  You have to hold the option key when clicking
the green dot to get the old behavior (which puts a `+` in it).  Even then,
it fills the entire screen (except it does not cover the dock).  Same
palette situation.

>  > One possible solution would be to add the rect of Devolution to the
>  > prefs and restore regardless of the bounding rect. This would allow
>  > the tool palette to be positioned over Devolution since you probably
>  > only actively use one at a time (if desired anyway).
>
> I could add all sorts of additional geometry for the edge case in which
> someone wants to have both the devo window and the tool palette open at
> the same time AND in a position which prevents use of one or the other....
>
> Or the IDE team could just not monkey with the windowBoundingRect based
> on the occasional position of a single window which is different from
> what happens in other positions, different from what happens in other
> windows, and different from what happens in other apps.
>
> Which would seem more beneficial for the larger number of LC scripters?
>
> I was mainly talking about saving the position between launches like the
tools palette does.  I ended up putting the stack toplevel and moving to
get it where I wanted and then saving.  On my Linux VM, due to the screen
size, I put it on the extreme right at the top (which due to the bug you
filed, allows me to move it up to the top currently - next to the menu bar).

When just testing, I relaunched LC and was able to move Devolution wherever
I wanted (even over the menu button bar).  I promptly put it all the way to
the left and saved it :)

I agree that the boundingrect stuff is a little frustrating.  It's not like
the menu goes edge to edge nor does the tool palette go top to bottom of
the screen.

Thanks,
Brian