[Blog] Script Only Stacks

Mark Waddingham mark at livecode.com
Fri Mar 4 05:28:54 EST 2016

On 2016-03-03 19:43, Robert Mann wrote:
> I guess you checked that the first line is not empty and that there is
> no
> space before the first line?
>
> "script" must be at the beginning of first line. Engine is very pick at
> that.
>
> And sometimes the engine/ide adds another line at top, leading to 2
> lines
> starting with "script"
> so in the erasing process, by hand.. things can happen.

I guess my original intent of script only stacks was that they would be
created and edited in the IDE - so the fact that there is some strict
syntax to follow didn't really matter.

The main problem with allowing the syntax of script only stacks to be
more flexible is that any information before the very first line of
script in a script only stack (i.e. after the "script" line) would be
inaccessible from the engine.

The strictness means that - the implementation of script only stacks is
simple, and it guarantees that there is no non-code related 'churn' in
script only stack files. The latter is really important for VCS needs.

Warmest Regards,

Mark.

LiveCode: Everyone can create apps