[OT] A couple of links about Gnome and usability

Richmond richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Sun Mar 25 04:20:44 EDT 2012

Another thing you might like to think about is running a Linux distro
on a second hard-disk or partition in a PC running Windows.

If at all possible go for the second hard drive option; I have managed
to muck
a lot of things up trying to go the second partition route.

Some Linux distros are very fiddly indeed to install, but Mint Linux
and Ubuntu are as easy, if not easier, to install as Windows and Mac.

Download an install disk:

http://www.ubuntu.com/download/ubuntu/download

http://www.linuxmint.com/download.php

burn your ISO image to CD/DVD (that depends on its size)

and reboot your machine from that disk, and follow the instructions:

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-newbie-8/how-do-i-install-linux-on-a-second-hard-drive-221331/

http://danleff.net/myarticles/fedorainstall/linuxinstallharddrives4.html

Another option, which is probably the safest bet of all, is to buy a
second hand
PC (any Pentium 4 will do, with a min. of 512 MB RAM) and install Linux on
that.

Certainly, in my part of the world HP compaq Pentium 4's with 1-2 GB RAM are
as cheap as chips [40 Euros].