[OT] A couple of links about Gnome and usability

Warren Samples warren at warrensweb.us
Sat Mar 24 20:32:41 EDT 2012

On 03/24/2012 06:53 PM, Pete wrote:
> the VM approach solves
> the hardware problem.  So now I'm left with the question of which Linux
> distro to go for....
> Pete

Since you can test them so easily, I would suggest firstly not to be too
anxious about making the "best" decision. You don't have to decide
Before you start; you can decide as you go. Again, you can download
either fully set up virtual machine disks or run almost any distro from
a liveCD, which is also a fabulously easy way to trial a distro. I run
openSUSE, currently and ran Mint 9 and 10 before that. For what you
expect to be casual use, I would think that the Desktop Environment (the
Unity, KDE, Gnome, Enlightment, XFCE, LXDE things that people talk about
- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Desktop_environment) will be the most
important consideration. You will need to find the one that is the most
intuitive to you. After that, the software management aspect may be the
second most important. This was much simpler in Mint than it is in
openSUSE.

I would recommend you try a Mint version first. I have no experience
with Gnome 3, but Mint 9 is the long term support version of that distro
and uses gnome 2. Mint 10 was very pleasant to use but it will lose
support next month. I had bad experience with KDE under Mint and Kubuntu
has a very poor reputation, so it's hard to recommend KDE in those
distros. Do a little research about desktop variants of whatever disto
you are gravitating to and (taking everything with heaping spoonfuls of
salt) you should find some helpful info.

Inside VirtualBox, you will probably find your desktop doesn't run with
effects (Compiz, KWin) so you save some memory. This somewhat equalizes
the playing field between the "heavy feature-full" (aka bloated) Desktop
Environments and the "light nimble" (aka primitive) ones. That *should*
mean you won't be making as many performance/feature sacrifices as you
look for what best suits your taste.

Good luck!

Warren