LiveCode Player for 5.5

Bernard Devlin bdrunrev at gmail.com
Fri Mar 23 09:46:48 EDT 2012

Hi Mark, you might not have said that such decisions are wrong, but
with finite resources, decisions must be made.  Some decisions will
turn out to be the wrong decisions.  About 3 years ago RealBasic and
Livecode looked like they were going in the same direction; they've
now branched off in different directions.  It may prove disastrous for
either or both companies.  If it does, then they will have made a
mistake in evaluating where things are going and what
technology/market will be best for their clients.  We won't know that
until some point in the future.  But Runrev sure realised that mobile
applications were far more important than I did.

When Apple was first promoting applications for mobile devices, they
promoted web apps as the right route.  Either that was a delaying
tactic, or they decided they'd made the wrong prediction.  Because
native apps became the most common form of app (despite that requiring
re-tooling by many developers).

As I haven't paid much attention to javascript since the whole Ajaxy
thing was coined, I had a look at what RealStudio have to say about
HTML5.

http://www.realsoftwareblog.com/2011/09/rough-edges-of-html5.html
http://www.infoworld.com/print/169665

I've seen companies in the arena of IDE-that-compiles-web-app struggle
to survive (Morfik comes to mind).  Considering what they were
offering a few years ago, it doesn't seem to have been the runaway
success that I expected it to be.  Another instance where my
expectations of the market seemed to be at variance with reality.

I can understand you'd like Livecode to output a web app in addition
to the other kinds of deployment target.  So would I.

With limited options for the encryption of local data, I view mobile
phone apps as being thin-client apps.  I've no idea what is required
to make governments recognise the need for the encryption of data on
devices.  But that is one of the things that those 2 links from my
visit to the RealStudio website highlight as a problem with HTML5
apps.  It seems we take data security far less seriously now than 20
years ago.  I've read reports of government and corporate employees
being mandated NOT to take their mobile phones to foreign countries,
because of the risks of the contents/devices being compromised.
That's a 19th century solution to a 21st century problem.  Some of the
other risks (such as hacking of a local webapp) do not seem to me to
be such a serious problem.

Richard Gaskin argued persuasively IMO against a runrev browser
plug-in.  I really don't care if the plug-in dies.  I don't see it
offers any benefit other than users who live in a browser not having
to start another application in order to do something.  That seems to
be a

Bernard