Strange Rev 3.5 problem

Paul D. DeRocco pderocco at ix.netcom.com
Fri Mar 9 23:03:26 EST 2012

<pderocco at ix.netcom.com>wrote:

>> I'm recompiling an old program with a few minor mods, and now I'm
>> getting the following error on a line in my first handler that merely
>> says "local s":
>>
>> stack "main": compilation error at line 139 (local: name shadows
>> another variable or constant) near "s", char 3
>>
>> If I change "s" to some other variable, that error goes away, but
>> appears on the next handler (of many) that says "local s" in it.
>> Nowhere do I have a global variable or constant called "s". The
>> Message Box global variables doesn't show anything called "s". None of
>> the other fileds or controls have anything called "s" that I can find.
>> The dictionary doesn't show anything built-in called "s". What's the
>> big deal about "s" all of a sudden?

> From: Mike Bonner
>
> Might look here:

http://www.runrevplanet.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=205
:52-tips-in-as-many-weeks-tip-52&catid=57:tip-of-the-week&Itemid=65

That's probably what it was. I vaguely remembering mistyping the new
variable I added "global s nub" and then correcting it to "global snub". I
didn't try to compile it that way, though. But the difference between what I
saw and what was described in tip #23 is that s did not appear in the the
list of global variables. That could simply be a difference between Rev 3.5
and the current LC though. Anyway, the problem disappeared when I restarted
the IDE.

--

Ciao,               Paul D. DeRocco
Paul                mailto:pderocco at ix.netcom.com