Help with C externals

Paul D. DeRocco pderocco at ix.netcom.com
Thu Mar 8 13:48:37 EST 2012

> From: Pete
>
> I guess the first thing I'm trying to ascertain is if it will
> be possible to call the C API's directly from LC or if there
> will have to be some intermediate external glue that sits
> between LC and the SQLite C API.

I haven't written an external since Rev 3.5, but I don't think anything
fundamental has changed. Yes, you have to write a wrapper layer, because
everything called from LiveCode has to accept arguments and return results
as null-terminated ASCII strings. So you spend a lot of time converting
between decimal ASCII and binary, and so forth. (If current LC has advanced
beyond that, I'd be interested to hear.) But like I said, it's just
busywork, and on modern machines it's not so slow as to be a problem.

--

Ciao,               Paul D. DeRocco
Paul                mailto:pderocco at ix.netcom.com