[OT] New Wine in old skins

Richmond richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Thu Mar 8 15:54:54 EST 2012

On 03/08/2012 02:28 PM, Francis Nugent Dixon wrote:
> Hi from Beautiful Brittany,
>
> Richard wrote :
>
>> don't expect everything to work as
>> well as it does with real Windows.
>
> Richmond. I hope you don't mind if I pass on
> that statement !

You are very welcome to.

I don't like Windows to be honest, as I feel it is shoddy, and wonder
what on earth would make people
pay for something prone to viruses when there are FREE alternatives
around that do not suffer from viruses.

It would, however, be dishonest to claim that WINE "does Windows",
because it doesn't; it does run a lot of Windows programs
well, but it is not a replacement for Windows.

The replacement for Windows is Linux; and to run a machine with Linux,
but then use some system to run Windows programs
is a half-cock job. If you want Windows, then run a machine with Windows
(and pay the price; both the Windows licence fee, and what happens
if a virus hoses your computer), and if you want Linux, run Linux; or,
run both on separate machines, or partitions on the same machine.