[WOT] Warning - long winded discussion - was Re: Apple iPad announcement evokes yawn

Richard MacLemale richard at richardmac.com
Thu Mar 8 15:27:41 EST 2012

Can I agree to disagree too?  :)

I think that when people actually SEE the iPad 3 they'll get what the big deal is.  It's the best tablet screen you can buy as of right now.  But yeah, iPad 3 is an evolutionary not revolutionary product.  Heck in the K-12 market, the much bigger announcement was that the iPad 2 is going to be $399 for the general public.  So hopefully education can score package deals with an even better price.  This will be a big deal in the K-12 market.

Regarding the XServe vs. Mac Pro.  From our perspective (I'm basically a District level network admin for a large school district) Apple killing the XServe was a big deal.  It didn't necessarily run faster than the Mac Pro, but it had dual power supplies, fit in a rack mount, and was designed so that you could stock spare parts and very easily swap them out.  It was a great server for a data center, whereas the Mac Pro tower sucks - can't rack mount it (without using a shelf and taking up tons of space), no dual power supplies, harder to swap components out.

Apple was stupid to discontinue the XServe because there are tons of data centers that require specs like "can be rack mounted" and "has dual power supply."  We run Moodle on 3 XServes - the next time we update our hardware we'll be switching to Linux because the XServe is gone and we need enterprise worthy servers.  The XServe was doing a good job getting Apple into IT shops and server rooms.  It was a foot in the door with the server nerds.  And now that's gone.  They looked at the spreadsheet but they should have looked further.

They're doing the same thing with OS X Server.  They've taken out a lot of stuff that the education market was still using.

---
Richard MacLemale
Music = http://www.richardmac.com
Programming = http://www.macandchee.se