Apple iPad announcement evokes yawn

Bob Sneidar bobs at twft.com
Thu Mar 8 12:30:52 EST 2012

Would a quad core make you a bit happier? How about 4G LTE? I don't think it was about nothing. These are all somethings, and all together they comprise a significant upgrade. Also, I think that in the midst of economic uncertainty, it would be foolish of Apple to embark on some great new technology.

They DID have a rack mounted Mac Pro. It was called Xserve, and very few people (relatively speaking) bought them. They are AWESOME servers (I have 6 in my network here) but they were pricey, and it took a long time for the Server OS to get to where an enterprise would feel comfortable integrating it into their existing Active Directory infrastructure, and there was no real benefit to doing so. Apple understandably canned the product line.

A touchscreen in and of itself is not a very good interface for a laptop IMHO. I have had the opportunity to use one running Windows, and I found myself going back to the trackball or touchpad in frustration. If you interact with the system a lot, reaching out your hand and touching the screen multiple times in a minute can get tiring after not too long. Try doing it all day! Even with an iPad I would not like to have to use it all day as my main computing device.

The times, they ARE a changin', and not necessarily for the better. Gas prices are going through the roof and businesses will not absorb this cost themselves. They will predictably pass that cost on to the consumer, in the form of more expensive utilities, food, pretty much everything. Consumers will then have even less free cash to spend on new technology.

I think Apple did just enough.

Bob