Apple iPad announcement evokes yawn

Tim Jones tolistim at me.com
Thu Mar 8 12:02:30 EST 2012

On Mar 7, 2012, at 5:17 PM, Gerry Orkin wrote:

> Tim Jones wrote:
>
>> I agree that the higher pixel density will provide for more comfortable reading, but it also means that we'll now need to add still another screen size to the three that we already must check for (iPhone, iPhone Retina, and iPad).
>
> I know! Horrendous! Android would never treat us so poorly :)

But that's another discussion.

This was about another overblown Apple launch event that was much ado about nothing.  A lot of catch-up on things, but nothing truly new.  I'm happy that Apple management haven't lost Jobs' flair for the dramatic, but a new screen, an updated camera, and finally getting to 1080p isn't something that I'd have been happy about traveling to San Francisco for as a journalist.

Show me a Mac Book Air Pad (touch screen MBA) and I'll get excited.  Show me a new rack-friendly Mac Pro, and I'll shout to the heavens.  Show me Thunderbolt peripherals that are actually available and I'll most likely faint.  But a new screen and an overdue update on existing products???

Sorry to sound so jaded and cynical, but I've been in this space for too long (since the Apple ][ circa 1982), and I just expect more.

Tim