file owner & group names

Jan Schenkel janschenkel at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 18 14:11:31 EDT 2010

--- On Tue, 8/17/10, Monte Goulding <monte at sweattechnologies.com> wrote:

> > Thinking it over, we could build a caching mechanism
> and only fall back to "stat" if we don't have the id in our
> cache already.
>
> Just what I was thinking.
>
> PS: ls -l on my machine doesn't truncate the user name.
>
> Cheers
>
> Monte

Well, just to wrap things up, I implemented the caching mechanism with calls to 'stat' to fetch additional user and group names based on the uid/gid from the detailed files.
See: <http://quartam.blogspot.com/2010/08/fun-with-detailed-files-and-stat.html>

Cheers,

Jan Schenkel.
=====
Quartam Reports & PDF Library for Revolution
<http://www.quartam.com>

=====