Problem with copy groups in standalones

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Wed Aug 18 13:34:42 EDT 2010

On 8/18/10 11:04 AM, Bob Sneidar wrote:
> Honestly, I think the process of compiling to an application ought to
> attach a splash stack automatically so people do not keep running
> into this problem. Then have a method for replacing the splash stack
> with your own, otherwise it uses a default stack whose script is
> modified to call the main stack on application launch.

I would hate that. There are many instances where you don't want a
splash stack, and the confusion this would cause would be equal to what
happens now, only worse: the reason apps can't modify themselves is
easily explained. Why Rev is suddenly creating a stack you didn't make
yourself would not only have to be explained, it would make people
angry. No app should decide for me how my product should be structured.

If this were a preference instead, then we'd just have to explain the
reason for it all over again and nothing would be gained. There are some
concepts that developers just have to know, and this one is universal on
any platform using any development tool.

Rev does provide a bit of automation for this though. The standalone
builder has the option to move substacks out of the stackfile and into
separate files. (But even that has to be re-explained repeatedly.)

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com