How to handle a "wait for file" situation

Richard Miller wow at together.net
Tue Jun 9 10:16:34 EDT 2009

Not sure of the best way to handle this.

I have a script that gets to a point in its processing where it needs to
wait up to 18 seconds for the appearance of a file. I know I can use a
simple "repeat until there is a file xxx" type of loop (exiting from the
loop if the time exceeds 18 seconds), but I'm thinking there's a better
way to handle this. This script is running on a cgi server and there
could be numerous simultaneous scripts doing the same thing... so I want
to minimize the load on the CPU.

Suggestions?

Thanks.
Richard Miller