Remote database access: How?

Jan Schenkel janschenkel at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 9 10:16:33 EDT 2009

There's a difference between the MySQL Database engine and the Connector library that allows C-programs to talk to the database. The RevDB driver for MySQL is is a wrapper around said Connector.

You should also not confuse GPL and LGPL.
Under LGPL, it is okay to use the open source software without disclosing your own source, as long as it is compiled into a separate library and the user can swap it out for a newer version if they are so inclined.
GPL is more strict, and anything it 'touches' must also become GPL. Whether this is enforcable in court, or not, is something else - but open source licensing is enough of a minefield not to take any chances.

Jan Schenkel
=====
Quartam Reports & PDF Library for Revolution
<http://www.quartam.com>

=====