Me, me, me [Was: Re: Bug???? Discuss please!]

Dave dave at looktowindward.com
Thu Nov 16 05:09:41 EST 2006

On 16 Nov 2006, at 05:34, Bernard Devlin wrote:

> Have we stretched this thread to the breaking point yet? ;)
> <<
>
> Hi Jacque,
>
> I think there is an oddity/bug here.  For example (unless I've
> really misunderstood things), when a message is received by a
> handler in a field on a card that is not the current card, "me"
> resolves to the actual text of the message, not a reference to the
> field containing the handler of the message.

As far as I know they evaluate the same way in both cases, e.g. when
called from another card or are called from the same card. The
problem is that when called from another card, the "me" that gets
evaluated is the wrong "me".

put "xxx" into me   is just shorthand for set the text of me to
"xxx", however when called from a different card, the statements:

put "xxx" into me   and
set the text of me to "xxx"

Both set the contents of the wrong "me" OR the field is restored from
a cached version incorrectly OR the field just never gets written.

My guess would be is that "me" is pre-calculated, stored to speed
things up, however the cache doesn't work under some circumstances
(such as when a handler is called from another card).

All the Best
Dave