Systemlanguage

Richmond Mathewson geradamas at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 15 03:08:47 EST 2006

Luis wrote:

"The Perl module works on all three."

but spoilt brat, he want native-RunRev method, or
he throw one heap-big tantrum and say "wude tings".

--- Presumably ???? somewhere "in the undergrowth"
of a Linux install there is a place where there is a
record of installed languages.

The thing that worries me is that I have Bulgarian
installed
for GNOME and not for KDE . . .

So, if I want my standalone to 'see' Bulgarian will it
do that
if I boot up KDE as my window-manager rather than
GNOME.

Unlike Mac OS and Windows which only sport the "one
size fits all" window managers that come out of the
box with them; Linux
has many options - and, it seems, that Languages are
installed
as add-ons to the Window managers rather than the
operating
system Ding-An-Sich.

In theory, it would be entirely feasible to run Linux
with 2 window-managers that use completely different
languages as their main languages:

say, GNOME in Finnish and KDE in Russian (and, let's
face it,
although the Finns and the Russians live right next
door to
each other . . .) . . .  :)

my standalone, when it lands on this system will
"throw a bluey"!

sincerely, Richmond Mathewson

"Its time to do Philosophy and stop worrying about what dead men said."
                                                                                           Mathewson 2006