Rev_rant part 4

Dave dave at looktowindward.com
Wed Nov 15 05:42:12 EST 2006

On 14 Nov 2006, at 20:12, Lynn Fredricks wrote:

>>> As far as I am concerned, with Rev the glass is certainly more than
>>> half-full.  In fact, if I had the money I'd be trying to buy the
>>> company.
>>
>> I'm not talking about "me", I'm talking about trying to sell
>> it to a whole programming department that is currently using
>> a mix of Macs, Windows and Linux machines and programming
>> tools such as C/C++, RealBasic, AppleScript, XML, PDF, PERL,
>> JavaScript, etc.
>
> You have to start someplace. I also would not put REALbasic and
> Applescript
> into that group either. Applescript is Mac only, and REALbasic isnt as
> widely accepted as any of the others (though they have a good start).

Like many places their system is a product of their history. It has
evolved over maybe 10 years, on 3 different Platforms, with many
different Operating System Releases and many different engineers all
with their own favourite tools and languages. The whole system is now
creaking since OS Updates have made some parts of the system flakey
and now they need to extend the system. Basically this is/was a
chance to bring in RunRev and do a complete overhaul.

> Just point them to the wildly popular Wiley Publisher's Dummies book:
> Beginning Programming for Dummies 4th Edition recently released where
> Revolution receives a lot of coverage, esp compared to ALL of the
> above.

With 30+ years programming experience I really don't think I need
"Beginning Programming for Dummies"!!! Thanks for the tip tho!

All the Best
Dave