Philosophy of build numbers

simplsol at aol.com simplsol at aol.com
Tue Nov 14 19:56:48 EST 2006

Richard,
For what it's worth, I've never liked double decimals or alphas in
build numbers; I like the build numbers to be numbers.
What I use is "x.yyzzz". X is the version, the two ys are minor
versions and the three zs are internal build numbers. For example Rev
2.07004. This allows infinite versions, a hundred minor versions, and a
thousand builds. It is also easy to see which version the build belongs
to. And I can sort historical builds numerically.
I helps avoid the situation where you run out of space for numbers:
what comes after OS X 10.3.9? Or 10.4.9? Or 10.9 - if the world is not
ready for 11.0?
Just my 2 cents.
Paul Looney