save this stack - a bug with images?

Graham Samuel livfoss at blueyonder.co.uk
Thu Mar 18 09:04:19 EST 2004

On Thu, 18 Mar 2004 14:03:36 +0900, Doug Lerner <doug at webcrossing.com> wrote:

>[snip]
>
>(1) Even if I don't set the lockLoc, the *location* of the image stays
>preserved when I change cards. Only the size gets resized. That is
>counter-intuitive.
>
>(2) What if I do want to be able to move and resize the image freely, yet
>preserve the current size and location when I change cards? Any recommended
>techniques for that? I guess just set all the lockLocations to true when
>changing cards and false when entering the card?
>
>(3) What is the reasoning behind not preserving image size changes for image
>controls only? Seems a bit odd...

I too find this counterintuitive, and it's worse than you think. If you
edit a group that has resized images in it, the individual images within
the group revert to their normal size during the edit process. This can
produce very odd effects; when I've wanted to add an image to a group like
this, I've had to resort to doing the add with a locked screen, running a
bit of script that restores the sizes and the lockLocs and then unlocking
the screen. It's untidy to say the least. I guess it may be something
related to HyperCard history, but I don't know.

What I would like is a command which would make the image forget about its
original size by substituting the current size for the original size
wherever it's stored in the object. This would preserve the existing
behaviour which tho it seems bizarre to Doug and to me, may of course be
relied on by some scripters. Maybe this should be Bugzilla'd as a future
enhancement.

Graham