OT two+ buck a gallon gas AAARRRGGGGHHH

Geoff Canyon gcanyon at inspiredlogic.com
Thu Mar 18 09:20:50 EST 2004

On Mar 17, 2004, at 2:14 PM, Frank Leahy wrote:

> We moved to England from San Francisco last September and bought a
> Ford Galaxy, 7 seat mini-van, diesel, that gets 45 miles to the
> gallon, and can cruise all day at 110 mph (I've driven 100+mph from
> Cornwall to London several times -- try that in California without
> spending all day looking in your rear view mirror).  (And why is it
> that the same car gets under 20 miles per gallon in the States?)

The Dodge Caravan seats seven and is rated at 26mpg on the highway,
which isn't bad. Diesels are inherently more efficient, but, the US
market has a significant bias against diesel vehicles. It's hard to
make a diesel engine run as clean as a gas engine.

Anyone who's overly concerned should check out "The Skeptical
Environmentalist," which surveys the environmental situation and points
out that we're often not as bad off as we think we are:

<http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0521010683>

regards,

Geoff Canyon
gcanyon at inspiredlogic.com