Upgrade version and pricing [was] Re: Fix it before moving ahead

Brian Yennie briany at qldlearning.com
Sun Mar 14 17:02:14 EST 2004

> A better comparison is to other applications. For how long after
> Office 2003 or Office 2004 for Mac came out did Microsoft continue to
> release bug fixes for the previous versions? In my experience, the
> answer has been, "about ten seconds."

I'm cringing at jumping into this thread, because I DO NOT think
RunRev has exactly been guilty of poor support or response to bugs.

HOWEVER, I can't quite agree with the Office OR OS comparisons. Both
are consumer products, not developer products. Frankly, developer
products need to be more bug-free than consumer ones (in general, don't
shoot me).

Another comparison would be PHP or MySQL. Both release many bug fix
upgrades on older branches of code. MySQL is at 3.2.43 (or something
like that), 4.0.16 (production), 4.1 (beta) and 5.0 (alpha). An extreme
example, but 3.2 customers have a pretty solid product just by rolling
back some bug fixes as they go. I do understand both projects have more
resources behind them.

Here's a question I would pose to RunRev: if there are outstanding bugs
in a current major release, is there a major release branch being
maintained?

I wouldn't expect RunRev's capacity to support a dozen point releases
on the 2.1 code, but if something big popped up, are they prepared to
fix it?

Either way, I think we need to get back to the practical issues here:
whether or not 2.1 is a useable release, and whether or not RunRev has
the resources to put out 2.2 at the same time as 2.1.3, 2.1.4, etc.

Heck, I think we probably need to collectively take a look at 2.2 (it's
already in beta) and then make our judgements...

- Brian