Maximum field height?

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Sun Apr 5 14:12:33 EDT 2020

J. Landman Gay wrote:

 > On April 5, 2020 12:46:19 PM Richard Gaskin wrote:
 >
 >> I've had such good luck so far with using scrollers directly on
 >> fields that it never occurred to me that accelerated rendering
 >> would be useful for field objects.
 >
 > If you're using a vScrollbar then no problem. But for swipe scrolling
 > without a scrollbar, which is what mobile users expect, it's a
 > different story. Android isn't as bad as iOS but there's a noticeable
 > stutter on both.

I've been too lazy and much too enamored with The xTalk Way for any of
that:

Once I saw that the scroller works well on the field content I've been
working with, I added a routine to my mobile lib that automatically
removes the vScrollbar from any non-editable field that has one, and
instantiates a matching scroller over it.

So yes, I'm using the field directly with no enclosing group, but no, I
don't use the desktop scrollbar on mobile; the scroller overlay does a
good job of tracking the user interaction, with the appropriate endpoint
indication and all, and scrolling the field in response to the
scroller's messages has worked well.

But then again, I haven't used really long text with that. I'll explore
that soon, and in the meantime I look forward to what you learn with
this experiment from your earlier post:

 >  I've switched over to trying a group set as a container and setting
 > the field itself to scrolling layermode. I haven't tried it yet on
 > mobile but we'll see.

While you're at it, it may be worthwhile turning the scrollbar of the
field off and having your scrollerDidScroll set the scroll of the field
directly, with no enclosing group at all.

If it works as well for you as it's been doing for me, it saves me
another test <g> and gives confidence to others that actually
development with LiveCode isn't nearly as cumbersome as that Lesson on
scrolling fields suggests.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Systems