Livecode's CEF Builds

Mark Waddingham mark at livecode.com
Tue Sep 11 01:32:07 EDT 2018

On 2018-09-11 02:48, Tom Glod via use-livecode wrote:
> So I got a msg back and they are totally down with me shipping the
> codec as
> long as I pay the fees for the # of licenses I sell past 100,000
>
> Correct me if I am wrong, can I not put the code of my application on
> github as GPL 3?  and build my standalones using LC with the modified
> CEF
> files ?
>
> If someone builds from the standalones on github they get the full
> application except the avc / h264 codec in CEF?
>
> Which license agreement does that break?

The GPLv3.

If you convey a binary which is built (in part) from GPLv3 source-code
to which you do not hold the copyright, then the person receiving that
binary is granted all the rights granted by the GPLv3 (virality).

Specifically they have a right to the exact source used to build that
binary, and have the right to distribute said source and binary as they
see fit.

The latter is why patent licensing is not clear when it comes to your
situation - because it depends on how the MPEG LA patent pool counts
users.

If, for example, they mean 'binary containing functional patent
encumbered code in the hands of a user' - then you have no idea what
your user count is - so I suspect they would be less amenable.

> Is it also not an option to have community version and then a
> non-community
> version like LC does?  I am really down for paying the 40 cents or 25
> cents
> per paid user whatever it is.

If you have a suitable commercial LiveCode license then you can dual
license - assuming your application does not rely on GPLv3 licensed code
you either do not have copyright too, or cannot gain a suitably
compatible (commercial) license to.

So, your binaries would actually be non-GPLv3 licensed; but you would
then be providing the source-code (which you own the copyright to) under
GPLv3 on GitHub.

Whether that works depends on what the requirements on your project are
re GPLv3 / Open-Sourceness.

Warmest Regards,

Mark.

LiveCode: Everyone can create apps