Livecode's CEF Builds

Mark Waddingham mark at livecode.com
Tue Sep 11 01:46:13 EDT 2018

On 2018-09-11 05:03, Brian Milby via use-livecode wrote:
> Seems like the GPL issue is in LiveCode’s court. They can specifically
> allow linking to non-free libraries as a provision to the GPL license.
> http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#FSWithNFLibs
> http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#GPLIncompatibleLibs

Yes and no.

I'm generally disinclined to add any (further) exceptions to the GPLv3
License attached to the LiveCode repository - and certainly even more so
for such a large and complicated project as CEF, especially where the
reasons for doing so is to be able to incorporate patent-encumbered code
where the licensing costs and methods for GPL binaries containing said
code is unclear.

The two we currently have are for:

   1) revBrowser on Windows - due to the fact (at the time) ATL (a
template-based C++ library which revBrowser uses for its embedding of
the OS browser object) did not have any clear or sensible license
attached to it which I could review for GPL compatibility.

   2) OpenSSL - the EAY and Apache 1.0 license this uses has an
advertising clause which is incompatible with the GPL.

In regards to the effect of these then well (1) is largely moot - use
CEF / browser widget instead. (2) is regrettable but not uncommon - the
OpenSSL project have been trying to get hold of all copyright holders
since March 2017 so they can switch to the GPL compatible Apache V2
License so it is just a matter of time before that happens.

That being said - I wouldn't mind if someone had the time to making the
dependence on OpenSSL more abstract, and switchable to a GPLv3
compatible library (I must confess its been a while since I've looked at
this, but there are at least a couple of options floating around).

I'd prefer LiveCode Community was GPLv3 pure - as any impurity creates
friction and issues with combining with other GPLv3 software in your own
applications.

Warmest Regards,

Mark.

*