How to calm down the Standalone Builder?

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Tue Feb 6 01:35:25 EST 2018

I've been tasked with resurrecting an old app that was last built with
MetaCard.  What I loved about MC was that it only did what I asked it
to, so when it comes to building a standalone it couldn't be easier: it
bound the engine to the stack file I wanted and that was it.  If I
wanted anything else I scripted it.

Trying to build with LC is a nightmare.  It's fine for things that I've
built specifically for the LC IDE (and since it's been years since I've
used MC that's pretty much everything I work on), but this one is
driving me crazy.

I'll spare you the step by step of all the weirdness I'm seeing (the
duplicate stack warning about stacks in a "Windows" directory that
doesn't exist, or the error dialog at the end that just displays raw
error data, and everything in between), and just get to what I think is
the point:

How do I tell LC's SB to not do a damn thing but attach the engine to my
specified stack file?

I think what it's doing is running through the stackfiles property and
then loading every stack in those files trying to
remove/alter/preserver/gawdknowswhat with profiles.  But I never use
profiles, never needed 'em, never cared for the idea, and all I really
want is for LC to just stop poking around in things that aren't the
stack file I'm trying to bind to.  But it seems all my guesses about the
profile options are wrong, since I can't find a combination which is the
equivalent of "Stop mucking around in other stack files and just do what
I'm telling you to do!".

I can write a handler for the pre- and post-build messages, stripping
and restoring the stackfiles listing.  If needed.  Seems silly to need
that, though.

Am I mising something obvious to get LC's Standalone Builder to calm
down and just do the one thing I need it to do?

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Systems