LiveCode 8.2.0 DP-1 Dropping Keystrokes in IDE

Monte Goulding monte at appisle.net
Wed Sep 20 22:03:02 EDT 2017

> On 20 Sep 2017, at 9:15 pm, RunRevPlanet via use-livecode <use-livecode at lists.runrev.com> wrote:
>
> If you are developing new features in a code editor how hard is to this.
>
> 1. Pick a random LiveCode handler that you have lying around of say 200 lines.
> (Be sure to pick one that has no global dependencies.)
>
> 2. Use a macro in your favourite editor to copy it, say, 35 times.
>
> 3. Paste the resulting 35 handlers into a stack script, and save it as a test
> stack. There you go, you now have some code that is 7,000 lines long.
>
> 4. Before releasing any LiveCode update, sit down at a Mac and see if you can
> successfully enter new lines of code here and there. Maybe even trying doing
> some copy and pasting if you are adventurous. All the time seeing how fast or
> slow it is, or whether it works at all.
>
> 5. Spend 5 more minutes doing the same on a Windows box and then on a Linux
> machine. (Not virtual machines!)
>
> LiveCode Ltd spending a total of 15 minutes to do this, every now and then,
> should mean that I would be using the 8.2.0 DP-1 *right now* helping LiveCode
> test their new features.

What you actually said was to work on real projects doing real work. ^ is not that. When I’m checking on performance of the SE I use the ide library which is over 12000 lines. I did do the equivalent of what you describe above with that script  multiple times on all three desktop platforms. Anyway, hopefully DP2 will be more usable for you.

Cheers

Monte