[ANN] Release 8.1.5 -- tsneterr

Sannyasin Brahmanathaswami brahma at hindu.org
Thu Jul 13 10:38:22 EDT 2017

Aloha, Charles:

This connection speed feedback looks awesome.

Does TSnet handle/monitor speed on all all the port 80/443 calls?

set the url of widget "browser" to "https://www.himalayanacademy.com"

I created a "horrible hack" to ping our server every few milliseconds ala Apple's own web page for this which returns a single word "success" but I'm hitting our own server instead.

local sConnectedStatus, sPingCount

on pingServer
    if sConnectedStatus = true then
     put 0 into sPingCount
     exit pingServer
     else
     if sPingCount is > 10 then
     put "false" into sConnectedStatus
 			 # disable some modules that need the internet or put up a message
     put 0 into sPingCount
     exit pingServer
     else
     add 1 to sPingCount
     put url "http:www.himalayanacademy.com/ping.txt" to sConnectedStatus # contains one word: "true"
     send pingServer to me in 333 milliseconds
     end if
     end if
end pingServer

function getConnectedStatus
  return sConnectedStatus
end getConnecdtedStatus

# where any given module can decide to try again … by issue pingServer at a later time.

the above actually works… there is probably a more sophisticated "best practices" way to do this… but my "baby XTalk" works… basically tries for almost 3 seconds + to access the internet before informing the user they are not connected

OTOH, I see Spotify will tell me "not connected" to the internet if I am on a very low 3G connection where the phone at "one bar" bandwidth" They obviouslydo not want users to have a bad experience trying to stream some music or podcast. I would be interesting to know their metric for when they consider the users disconnected.

So it would really be great, even for simple web calls, to inform users something like "Low bandwidth detected. Please be patient, items called from our server will take a bit more time."  or something "sweet" like that.. instead of just a loading icon that "takes forever"  (from the user point of view). In some case we need to be even more "dramatic" e.g.

"This new module is a 22MB of download data, your bandwidth is low. Do you want to continue, or wait until you are on WIFI?" with "Cancel" or "Continue Download"