[ANN] Release 8.1.6 RC-1

Tore Nilsen tore.nilsen at me.com
Tue Jul 11 18:40:12 EDT 2017

Just to make my points a bit clearer, here is a list of what enhancements to the handler list I think will be helpful:

1. Put the list in a menu/scrolling list field above the current list showing actual handlers in the script

2. Label this menu/list clearly as “Common handlers” to make sure that users understand that this list does not contain all available handlers for this control.

3. Put the most used/most likely used handlers for each control at the top of the list

4. Make sure that all inserted handlers are presented in the same way, a comment giving a brief description of the handler is a good thing for beginners

5. Make sure that all parameters are named in a uniform way.

6. Group handlers in the list by their functionality

7. Make the list searchable/let the user filter the list

8. Do not repeat the list in the menu at the top of the script editor. This menu should only contain actual handlers inserted into the script because of the “play/run” button next to it. You can not run a handler that is not a part of the script.

I think that this list of available/common handlers can be very helpful if it is implemented in a good way. I like the fact that comments are provided with the handlers, This makes it a valuable feature for beginners. I can really see myself using these comments as an example for my students on how to write comments for their own handlers and functions. I would welcome any change in this feature that makes it clearer and less confusing, especially for beginners.

Regards
Tore Nilsen