[ANN] Release 8.1.6 RC-1

Tore Nilsen tore.nilsen at me.com
Tue Jul 11 18:12:14 EDT 2017

I have played a bit with the enhanced script editor and while I like the idea with the handler lists I am not sure that the implementation is as good as it could be.

I find it a bit confusing to see a list of handlers in the handler list without any actual handlers in the script itself. From my experiences teaching coding with LiveCode, I think that my students also will find this a bit confusing. I think the handlers should be moved to a menu or a scrolling list above the list that shows which handlers are currently used in the script. Then there will be a clear visual division between handlers created by the user and handlers that are available to the user. It is also important that this menu/list is labeled properly. In a script with a lot of handlers, the handler list will eventually be pushed out of sight the way it is implemented now.
If this list should be helpful to more inexperienced users, it is vital that the most common handlers for any given control appear at the top of the list. The more esoteric once can be placed at the bottom of the menu/list. It is also vital to think through which handlers are shown in the script of which control, especially since you can place almost any handler in the script of any control, as long as there is a call to that handler further up in the message hierarchy.
Better uniformity in how the handlers are presented when inserted into the script is needed. The mouseUp handler comes with comments explaining the handler, whereas the mouseDown handler does not. Also, params containing the same values should be called the same. In mouseUp the parameter is called mouseButtonNumer, in moouseDown it is called pMouseButton.

These are some of my initial thoughts about what I think can be a very useful enhancement to the editor.

Regards
Tore Nilsen