Death of the Application Browser

Monte Goulding monte at appisle.net
Thu Nov 26 16:21:49 EST 2015

> On 27 Nov 2015, at 7:07 am, Scott Rossi <scott at tactilemedia.com> wrote:
>
> I doubt anybody is arguing with you.  I think most agree that the Project Browser is a great step toward a modern editor.  But the capabilities lacking in the Project Browser have been pointed out numerous times -- see the mail archives.  Perhaps a better question to ask is why these have been pointed out repeatedly and not acted upon, or at least acknowledged.

I think their persistence with the project browser has actually resulted in a number of performance optimisations and features in the engine which we all benefit from image cache, object reference optimisations, snapshot at size and possibly others are direct results of their effort to improve the project browser implementation. I don’t doubt that they are keen to provide what we need to get the job done and will look for solutions where the existing implementation doesn’t work. My point is to try and avoid the “i prefer the app browser so leave it in” or even the “the project browser doesn’t work for this reason” type comments and come up with constructive options that could be added to the project browser to resolve the situation. If all they are hearing is a handful of people saying they don’t like it and want to use the application browser instead then can you blame them for coming up with a solution of putting the application browser in plugins for those users?

Cheers

Monte