HTML5 export and Widgets

David Bovill david at viral.academy
Tue Nov 24 07:03:51 EST 2015

I'm interested in particular how to integrate LiveCode with Javascript and
in particular the NodeJS community. The benefit is to be able to use any of
the npm modules out there, or other Javascript libraries and not have to
rewrite these in LiveScript.

It seems that HTML5 export is not the way to go for a while. I also note
that Javascript is on the roadmap for Livecode Builder languages - so I
guess when we eventually would have that we could include a Javascript
library and wrap it in LiveCode - then export it as a Standloalone HTML5
app?

On 24 November 2015 at 11:50, Peter TB Brett <peter.brett at livecode.com>
wrote:

> On 24/11/2015 11:29, David Bovill wrote:
>
>> In particular I would like to be able  to create Javascript plugins and
>> widgets that the rest of the web page can interact with - so a web page
>> author could include the libraries and then we expose an API for
>> Javascript
>> developers to use.
>>

> Yes, that would be great, and would make LiveCode HTML5 deployment even
> more useful.  However, this is not something that I currently have any
> specific plans to implement.

OK - thanks for the clarity!

> Also how would the browser widget work in this context?
>>

> At the moment I don't have any specific plans to support the browser
> widget in HTML5 apps.  I expect that very few people will have the need to
> run a browser in a LiveCode app that's already running in a browser.

It would be one way to include other Javascript based code within an HTML5
app - basically if it worked any web technology that could be displayed in
a browser could talk both ways to LiveScript and be deployed as a
standalone HTML5 app.