Kickstarter 2013 Revisited

Richmond richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Mon May 11 09:30:07 EDT 2015

On 05/11/2015 03:40 PM, Geoff Canyon wrote:
> On Mon, May 11, 2015 at 3:29 AM, Mark Waddingham <mark at livecode.com> wrote:
>
>> As a case in point, I just opened up revNavigator from the plugins menu -
>> and it works in 7. Indeed, if I have objects with Unicode names,
>> revNavigator still works perfectly, displaying precisely what you would
>> expect. There was no need for me to modify the code, nor do anything to the
>> stack.
>>
> Ha, way to hit me where I live :-) Are developers really naming objects
> with unicode-only names? Why? It's not like "repeat" or "filter" are
> localized, so how much of a benefit is it really that variable names and
> object names can be in cyrillic?

Well, it may be that your work goes a lot more smoothly if you can give your
variables and objects names that are relatively easy to remember because
they are
in your native language.

I don't know what you call your variables and objects, but I always give
them names
that make sense to me and have some sort of connexion to their function:
flds such
as "OOT", "DOONBY", "BIGGIN", "BYRE" mak a heil puckle o sense tae ma
mind mair
than Sudron yins, as well as aa those that aiblins hae nummers: yin,
twa, three, fower,
fife, sax, se'en, nichan, teen. Now, sud I wark fae a stoor mon that has
Bulgarian fae his leid
he mun find it mense fu gif I caa them names he kens: КОТИКА, ТОРБИЧКА,
ОБОР.

The unconscious arrogance of the English-speaking world never ceases to
amaze me.

It might not be a bad idea to meditate on the fact that an awful lot of
people conduct
their daily lives using non-latinate writing systems.

Richmond.