about Mark...

Mark Waddingham mark at livecode.com
Sun May 10 11:56:24 EDT 2015

On 2015-05-09 20:53, Richmond wrote:
> On 09/05/15 21:37, Colin Holgate wrote:
>> This is in no way a complaint! But I’m curious about how much Mark is
>> posting these days. Did he run out of things to develop?
>
> That's a bit of a b*tchy comment.

Hehe - as a first reading then, yes, it could have potentially sounded
like that. However, that comes down to the limitation of any purely text
based communication medium.

Obviously I've met Colin a few times, so know how he speaks to some
extent and also his mannerisms. When I read things from people I've
physically met or actually spoken to my mind reverts to their voice in
my head saying it with presumed inflections. In this case, I could
imagine precisely how Colin would have said it had I been speaking to
him face-to-face, (I'm sure there would have been a slight chortle in
his voice as he said the last sentence) and thus interpreted (I hope) in
the way it was intended.

>> It is exciting to see him participating here.
>
> Yes, it is, and it should be welcomed, instead of having snide
> comments lobbed at it.

Again it wasn't snide.

One of the problems I think purely text-based internet online has is
that we completely loose any context as to the comments people make. I
suspect it is one of the biggest sources of 'flame-wars' and other such
perhaps not so healthy online discourse that occurs.

No one is perfect - and indeed in recent history I completely mistook a
post Richard made in the Engine Contrib forum (look for one on
date/time) and it wasn't until after I'd posted I'd completely missed
the fact he was couching his comments in a jovial-jokey type way.

So, just remember, before you hit send - reread what someone said,
reread what your reply is and try to think about how they might have
said it :)

LiveCode: Everyone can create apps