[OT] Pixar's Renderman

Lynn Fredricks lfredricks at proactive-intl.com
Tue Mar 24 02:06:04 EDT 2015

> Yes, Unreal is free, but you owe them 5% of your royalties if
> you make over $3k. Unity 5 is free if you make less than $100k.

Unity really kicked this off; I think Unreal's license is probably the least
complex, but most of the other companies who are doing this sort of thing
have some kind of limitation that will motivate you to buying a paid for
commercial version. I am not sure about 5, but previous versions of Unity
you needed to pay a fairly steep fee to distribute mobile games.

We've been giving away free versions of Valentina Studio, and (limited
license) free versions of Valentina Server for quite some time now. It is a
very effective strategy as long as you have a way to get people to want to
give you money for something more.

Best regards,

Lynn Fredricks
President