API

Peter TB Brett peter.brett at livecode.com
Tue Mar 24 05:11:01 EDT 2015

On 2015-03-23 20:41, Michael Doub wrote:

> I am still trying to figure out how the "bind to ... " works. Some
> where there has to be a linkage between this "bind" step and the OS
> level library,  So at run time, the library is loaded into memory and
> the final address resolution takes place.

This is more-or-less correct.

> I hope that someone will confirm/correct/ or otherwise educate.

In LiveCode 8 DP 1:

1. Open the dictionary
2. Select the small "Guides" tab at the top of the window.
3. Select "Extending LiveCode" from the drop-down menu at the top left.
4. Select "Specifications" from the menu on the left.
5. Scroll down, and you'll eventually find a "Foreign Handlers" section.

This section explains the current foreign function interface (FFI)
available to LiveCode Builder developers.

 From a brief glance, the language reference manual in DP 1 is slightly
out-of-date (for example, most of the type names are now TitleCase
rather than lowercase).  Please file bugs if you find any other ways
that the documentation doesn't match the behaviour.

                                 Peter

--
Dr Peter Brett
LiveCode Engine Development Team