[AN] iOS to Android issues...

Paul Maguire me at paulmaguire.me
Wed May 15 16:39:35 EDT 2013

On 15 May 2013, at 11:52, "J. Landman Gay" <jacque at hyperactivesw.com> wrote:

> On 5/13/13 3:48 PM, Paul Maguire wrote:
>>
>> 1)    The graphics are missing. All my graphics are linked to from an
>> included folder I have next to the main app. I have included them in
>> the Standalone Application Settings (I also have a couple of fonts).
>> All this works nicely when creating the bundle for iOS. But they just
>> don't appear in Android - ulp. I take it I'm missing something here -
>> do I need to import (embed) all the assets? That would be very
>> annoying if so because I want to keep the codebase unified. I have
>> done basic Android tests before and I embedded the media and it was
>> fine. Is there any way to not to have to embed my media in Android?
>
> You shouldn't have to embed the images. If they aren't showing the problem is almost always in the file path reference. How are you referencing the images on disk?

In my build I am using 'new referenced control/image file' for all images. This workflow works fine for publishing to IOS but fails to load any images in Android. If I use a script to embed all linked media and compile for Android, all is well - images appear fine. I store all my images and other media in a Media folder next to the authoring file. It's like after compiling for Android the directory structure is destroyed and the app can't see or load images. I can see in the iOS app that the directory structure is maintained (I can explore the package in the Finder ) but I can't do this with the Android file file. Any ideas?

>> 2)    I use 'put's to the console in OSX for help in debugging in iOS. I
>> can't see any appearing when I run the Android emulator. Is there an
>> Android SDK console window somewhere where I can see my puts?
>
> For Android, use Terminal and (optionally) run the logcat command. Here is an excerpt from my notes from the last RevLive conference:

Wow - excellent. Thanks.

Kinds regards, Paul.