Trouble in Paradise... with script editor

Kay C Lan lan.kc.macmail at gmail.com
Sun Jan 6 19:08:44 EST 2013

On Sun, Jan 6, 2013 at 9:02 AM, David C. <davidocoker at gmail.com> wrote:
>I sure would like to find the cause just to save my
> sanity. :)

Like other's, scratching at straws.

To me it first sounded like you must have been opening LC by double
clicking a stack, this then opens the App associated with it. If LC
was bad, and in a non-standard location you are not familiar with,
then installing a new copy of LC into a standard location would not
have solved the problem, double clicking the file would still point to
the bad LC. But, and it sounds like you are, if you just double click
on the new install of LC to open it, then it's the new LC that is
open.

So the only other thing you might want to look into is:

Bad Account:

1) Select Restart from the Apple Menu
2) Login to Bad Account
3) Start Activity Monitor
4) Ensure 'All Processes' is selected in the Option Button
5) Click on the Name column to ensure the output is in alphabetical order
6) Print the output
7) Start LC

Now repeat the process in the Good Account - ensure you restart the computer.

Compare the outputs. Theoretically the Befores should be the same and
the Afters should just have one extra line -  'LiveCode'.

Unfortunately I don't think you'll find much. Unless the Bad User
account was misbehaving with non-LC apps it doesn't sound like
anything outside of LC is causing this. If it is a plugin, a front or
back script, then Activity Monitor isn't going to high-light it as it
will all just fall under the single 'LiveCode' process. If you set up
Activity Monitor so that 'My Processes' is selected in the option
button, and you high-light the CPU column and select the CPU tab so
the graph shows CPU usage, then you will probably see in the Bad
Account, when you go through your previously mentioned steps and the
Editor doesn't show, the CPU activity for LC might spike and stay
high, which wont occur in your Good Account when LC does what it's
suppose to. Unfortunately this doesn't tell you anything you don't
already know; what is actually getting in the way.

Maybe you could change your desktop picture to pretty flowers to match
the walls; just to ease the pain ;-)