Is there a way to send and receive iOS messages?

Geoff Canyon gcanyon at gmail.com
Sat Jan 5 22:23:35 EST 2013

Roughly, I want to use iOS messaging to communicate between LC apps running
on multiple iOS devices (ignoring android for the moment). Suppose I wanted
to support asynchronous chess play. You open the app and have a game going
with me. You make a move, the app sends a message to my iOS device with the
move. Some time later I open the app, see the move, make my response, and a
message goes to your iOS device with my reply.

Further, suppose that Andre watches my games. That would mean that whenever
I make a move, the app sends you a notice of my move, and sends Andre an
update with both our moves. That implies that Andre doesn't receive any
actual notice of the incoming update from me. He might be watching many
people, so he doesn't need notifications, just the information on the moves
when he opens the app to see what's happened. If Andre likes the way you
play, he could instruct the app to watch you too, in which case his copy of
the app would send a message your copy to tell it to keep him updated, and
from then on whenever you make a move (in any game, not just your game with
me) your copy of the app would update Andre. That would lead to his copy of
the app getting updates on games you and I play from both of us, so his
copy of the app would (probably, I haven't spec'd this all out yet) send a
message to my copy saying that it no longer needs updates on games you and
I play. Or it might just de-dupe on Andre's device and leave it at that.

I think that covers what I'm talking about. I think it implies passing
around messages that include device notification signatures? Not sure.

thx -- gc