[OT] Cross-platform tools shootout

Mark Wilcox m_p_wilcox at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Apr 23 11:36:13 EDT 2013

Chipp Walters <chipp at chipp.com> wrote:

> Interesting as Haxe (the overall winner, and winner in Development Speed)
> doesn't even have an IDE. It would be interesting to have a LC/Haxe
> shootout with a Haxe developer, who evidently must be expert in CSS,
> Javascript, HTML and probably a host of other inside frameworks, all
> without having any sort of native IDE in place.

Haxe is interesting but my view was that developers using it had much lower expectations. Average revenues of Haxe developers were less than half those for LiveCode developers, suggesting there were a lot more hobbyists/enthusiasts than professionals or they were primarily using it to build games (where lower average revenues are the norm - it's a rather competitive category).

IDE's are a matter of personal taste though.  My understanding is that the majority of web developers don't use IDE's at all for example.

Mark