Community version download

Richmond richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Fri Apr 12 01:57:03 EDT 2013

On 12/04/13 08:53, Peter Alcibiades wrote:
> Monte Goulding wrote
>> ....Yes, that bit's just asking for someone to fork the IDE, not sure why
>> RunRev haven't based this login around a service like revonline but
>> luckily I don't need to make these decisions. If it were me I'd quickly
>> change it to Login to revOnline or skip... then make the services the
>> login is for more compelling.
> This is indeed a very odd choice - its the only OSS package I have ever come
> across that requires product activation in this way, and it really is asking
> for a fork of the IDE.  One can see the motivation.  But the competition in
> this space is surely Python, and that is free as in air....  Its living a
> bit dangerously.  Forking is one of the main reefs out there in this
> particular ocean.

I think RunRev have made a big mistake here, as setting their release up
for a fork
right away (which, presumably, they won't host on their website ???) is
going to
detract quite a bit from their rationale for releasing an OSS version:
to gather community
programming ideas which can be rolled into the pay version, and to make
people look
more closely at their website.

I wonder if RunRev wouldn't be wiser to, quietly, release the next
version of LC OSS
without the phone-home arrangement and licensing requirement?