Community version download

Richmond richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Fri Apr 12 01:50:52 EDT 2013

On 12/04/13 05:26, Kay C Lan wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 12, 2013 at 8:55 AM, Monte Goulding <monte at sweattechnologies.com
>> wrote:
>> Yes there is so you might want to take screenshots of where it says the
>> wrong thing and bug report them.
>>
>> Can you please explain this further, I'm now (again) confused.
> I was under the impression that a Commercial version of LC is the Community
> Edition of LC + the ability to password protect stacks. There is nothing in
> Community that is not in Commercial.
>
> Why would anyone with a Commercial license for LC want to work inside the
> Community Edition. Yes I can appreciate you might want to give a daughter,
> friend or colleague a copy of LC, so it will be the Community Edition, but
> when it is you and your work, why would you bother with the Community
> Edition?

Well, for instance, if, like me, you are a tight-wad with your money,
you might want to use
the Open Source version for a number of reasons:

1. To see whether the advances between your licensed commercial version
and the current version
are sufficient or vital enough to what you want to do to justify forking
out for the commercial version.

(for the sake of argument, I work with LC 4.5 commercial, and right now
I am "fooling around" with LC com 6.0
to see whether buying a license for 6.0 would bring all sorts of jazzy
benefits to my commercial Devawriter
program)

2. To start developing software right now while you save up enough money
to buy a commercial license.

(ditto)

3. To author software for use on a closed system (e.g. my language
school) where nobody is going to
be merrily helping themselves to your software.

> Also, if I understand the registration authentication process, when you
> start LC up, it phones home,

That is the sticking point several people on the Use-List have been
making rude noises about.

>   checks your status, and in Skip's case I'd say
> the response is correct, it states you are a Commercial license holder.
> This does not prevent you from releasing OSS, just like the Community
> Edition. You just have the choice.
>
> I'm saying this from a Productive User's point of view, not from the aspect
> of whether I can delve into the Engine source code and fork off my own
> version of LC suitable to run of Mac OS 7.6.1 on Motorola 68030 chips. In
> this case, register with GitHub, download the source files, crack open
> Metrowerks CodeWarrior and have at it. But again, my understanding is, that
> if you did this, and your work met with Runrev standards, such changes
> would be Incorporated both into the Community and Commercial editions of LC.

Somehow I cannot see the chaps in Edinburgh adopting your code for a
"version of LC suitable to run of Mac OS 7.6.1 on Motorola 68030 chip" as
they probably would feel that that would exactly boost sales by some
unimaginable amount. . . LOL.

> Or am I again, wrong.

We are all, constantly, wrong, and . . . yet . . . so right.

Richmond.