How do you handle caring about PPC?

Richmond richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Mon Apr 8 14:47:59 EDT 2013

On 04/08/2013 07:28 PM, stephen barncard wrote:
> With education going to tablets, and with more and more old machines
> costing more and more to support and find parts for, I'd say Power PC is
> dead.

This is a fairly redundant comment that has been said before quite a few
times, and
it does make sense if you live in some peachy sort of situation where
you have a generous
annual budget to endlessly upgrade your machines and chuck your
functional but 'outdated'
ones into landfills in a fit of ecological nihilism.

----- I am sorry, Stephen, but you have really hit a nerve; Please do
not take what follows as a personal attack, because it is not meant as
such ----

However, I for one (and I am not the only one) have 4 perfectly good G3
slot-loading iMacs
merrily chuntering along on Mac OS 10.4.11, and will only replace them
when they go 'bang'
as they do the job I want them to do superbly.

Because of that I almost always hive off PPC standalones (the
"middle-path", Mac OS Universal,
is neither one thing or the other and is merely bloatware) as well as
Intel Mac standalones.

That is also why I don't merrily chuck out old versions of any Mac
software (stuff backed up all the way
back to 1993), especially Livecode/RunRev versions.

I regularly send copies of my EFL stuff off to a Church of Scotland
school in Botswana where
an inspired teacher is able to make good use of them on old PPC Macs
running Mac OS 9;
that means porting stacks back to version 2.0.1 and saving them as
Classic standalones. The
fact that that chap is able to use them to help Botswanan (err; not sure
if that is the right adjective)kids get ahead when they don't live
in the same sort of financial environment that people such as Thee and
me (one of them
is going to the University of Sheffield, in England) floats my boat in a
big, big way.

Now for me to keep floating my boat, and, more importantly, for those
kiddos out in Botswana,
the ability to supply them with half-decent software for educational
support, the ability to
pump out standalones for PPC machines is really very important indeed.

As I am currently working on a project to get the University of St
Andrews in Scotland to ship out
a load of their G3 iMacs to the school in Botswana along with all the
licensed Mac 10.4 installation disks
they no longer need, the ability for me to pump out PPC standalones is
mission critical.

Many on the Use-List may be quite unaware that Africa is neither
terribly rich, nor a place wholly
inhabited by 'primitive' people who aren't interested in anything beyond
tribal dances. It is a dumping
ground for lots and lots of "dead" computers which are nothing of the
sort, they are just 5-15 years old
and perfectly useful for all sorts of things in the right hands (and
there are plenty of extremely switched on people in Africa who are
rather frustrated) and given software that will work on those
machines.

Richmond.