[OT] New pricing

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Mon Apr 8 11:10:16 EDT 2013

Kay C Lan wrote:
 > On Mon, Apr 8, 2013 at 2:50 AM, Richard Gaskin wrote:
 >>
 >> If Apple has recently changed their policies so they no longer
 >> have the distribution limits that had made it incompatible with
 >> the GPL, that would be welcome news. But I wasn't able to turn
 >> up any info suggesting that, so the items in the Wikipedia article
 >> you linked to seem to be well-intentioned people who simply don't
 >> follow the news from the FSF, and Apple staff who apparently have
 >> a tough time keeping up with the ever-changing and inconsistently-
 >> applied rules there.
 > I read your links 1 and 3, cause I'm and odd sort of guy, and all I
 > concluded from it was that it was GPL participants (VLC coders in
 > one case) that requested Apple remove certain GPL software, and Apple
 > complied because it was cheaper and easier than going to court over
 > it. As you say, Apples inconsistently-applied rules, to me do NOT
 > seem to specifically target rejection of GPL software.
 >
 > As far as I can tell LiveCode Community will allow me to write an iOS
 > app and as long as it includes stick figures and fart noises it is
 > likely to be approved by the App Store reviewers. For my part, in
 > accordance with the GPL I would include a link where anyone could
 > download the 'source' stack for their own modification. At which
 > point, as long as I, Runrev, or someone from this List does not
 > complain to Apple, then it's likely to live a long and highly ignored
 > life at the App Store.

Could be, but as we've seen with VLC and other GPL-governed apps, any
such app is just one complaint filing away from being dropped.

I can't claim to be a legal authority on such matters, and as such I
just see what I see and pass it along; I'm not in a position to
recommend that people submit GPL-governed works to an app store that has
pulled such works.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World