Win ico sizes

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Mon Apr 8 11:00:52 EDT 2013

Monte Goulding wrote:

> If I remember right I put the errors there because I thought
> people would rather see an error there than find out that
> under some circumstances their app gets some generic icon
> instead of what they wanted. I think people complained so
> much about those errors that RunRev gave up on them...

In many cases Windows will scale up from available icons when a given
size isn't available, but LiveCode has very specific requirements for
how it embeds the images into the exe, so it's helpful to know when at
least the size used for aliases isn't present.

I just found a good tool for making ico files that also meets my
preference for tools I can use on any platform I may be working on at a
given moment - GIMP, available for nearly every OS:

<http://regx.dgswa.com/html/Gimp+ico+how+to>

I'll dig up the size specs at (ugh!) MSDN, but I think the only ones my
current ico tool isn't making well are the two new ones introduced with
Vista, 256 and 98.

Once I verify the requirements I'll file a documentation bug report,
noting that LC's very specific requirements for ico sizes pretty much
necessitates that they be documented.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World