Explicit Variables again

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Fri Oct 19 20:15:44 EDT 2012

On 10/19/12 6:11 PM, Peter Haworth wrote:
> Peter,
> You got it!  Thanks for the script also (and Jacque).  I have to admit I'm
> not entirely sure of all the benefits of it but I'm sure they'll come
> though when I give it a try.

Mine is much simpler than the one Peter posted, he's added some stuff.
I've never had any trouble with commenting using the IDE shortcuts, for
example, so I don't have that in there.

But I use the quotes and parentheses and scriptpaint parts all the time.
For example, you type this and find out it doesn't parse right:

   put the short name of cd i and cr after tList

and realize you need to force evaulation by putting parentheses around
"the short name of cd i" -- so you hilite it and type Cmd-Shift-9 (or 0,
either one) and it's done. Same for quotes.

More than anything I use the scriptpaint feature, which I admit wasn't
my own idea but I can't remember now where I got it. Instead of typing a
variable name, just point at it in some other part of the script and
type Cmd-Shift-space. In it goes. Works for a selection too; it will
replace your selection with the word you're pointing to. I have managed
to teach my left hand to hit all three keys at once without tearing any
tendons.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com