Explicit Variables again

Ben Rubinstein benr_mc at cogapp.com
Fri Oct 19 14:06:56 EDT 2012

On 18/10/2012 19:45, Richard Gaskin wrote:
> IIRC, explicitvars were seen as too cumbersome to work with, since as a truly
> global property the required that EVERYTHING you're using comply with it, and
> too many plugins didn't.

I don't think the problem was with plugins, so much as the basic IDE.  And as
one of those in the let-the-compiler-help-me camp, I spent some time years ago
trying to persuade RunRev to invest the effort in making the IDE
explicitVars-clean, so that we could then safely switch it on for ourselves.

In the end they implemented the cunning hack round the script editor instead,
which gave us that ability and indeed something better... but dodged the issue
of cleaning up the IDE.  I remain convinced that if RR did put the time in to
make the IDE ev-clean, they would in the process fix at least a few bugs.  But
I can't actually pretend that it should be a priority for their overstretched
team now (good introductory job for a new hire, perhaps?)

Ben